Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I just finished a really good book!

If you have ever read any of Kathleen O'Neal Gear books and enjoyed them, I just read the first in a series I hadn't seen before. It's called: It Sleeps In Me. WOW! It was good. The whole thing keeps you guessing and you are still wanting more when you get to the end! Here is what someone's review on Amazon.com says:
"When Sora, chieftess of the Black Falcon Nation, is faced with warring clans, duplicitous friends, and baffling seizures, she feels that she is trapped in a labyrinth of deceit. Skinner, a friend of her ex-husband, Flint, comes to Sora with a shocking message: Flint is dead, but his shadow soul lives within Skinner, and he must tell Sora Flint's last words. When Chief Blue Bow of the enemy Loon Nation asks Sora for warriors to help his clan attacks another, Sora suspects treachery despite the promise of jade bounty. As she seeks counsel from her second husband, Rockfish, and best friend, Wink, Sora is shocked that they are eager to accept Blue Bow's proposal. Suspicious of their motives and tortured by the lure of Flint's shadow soul, Sora learns that she can trust no one and that her life is in danger. Throughout out this book I was mesmerized with the culture and the beliefs of this tribe. I use to read-up a lot on Native Americans in my college years because the culture fascinated me so much. While reading this I kept trying to predict part of the ending but came up short every time I turn to a new chapter, there were a couple of shocking twists that had me going. Gear did a great job keeping up with the story line throughout the entire book. It did break my heart during the end of the story. With this debut in a new series, Gear, the beloved coauthor of many Native American prehistoric novels (e.g., People of the Owl), spins her magic again in a saga peppered with murder, intrigue, and erotic love scenes. "

I couldn't have written a better review. Tomorrow I am headed to the library to get the next one. I hope they have it!! What an awesome book! If anyone wants to discuss any recent books they have read, I'd be more than happy to hear about it!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am into the light easy reader books these days. Things like What to Expect in the First Years and Parenting magazine. Seems like I am so tired by the time I get Allyson to bed I can't concentrate too hard. So at bedtime I am reading the last one of the Sophia Kinsella novels - Shopaholic and baby - how appropriate for me! And Paula I owe you a thanks you got me started on them - remember? You gave me one for Christmas or birthday? Thanks- Michelle
Otherwise - I am patiently waiting for the next Nicholas Sparks novel.

Paula said...

:o) Hi Michelle. You know I have a whole box of those religious romance books that my grandma sent home with me that you are welcome to read any time. Just say the word. I am glad to see someone is reading the blog and posting!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for getting me into the Sophia Kinsella novels - I just finished the Shopaholic and baby - it was really funny. Now I am ready to read her last novel. So what about your grandma's books? Is is the one I read about 9-11? I really liked it. By the way I still have it - do you want it back?